Whenever you have a weak immune system, you get sick on any slide change in your body. This shows the importance of antibodies to our system
The immune system has a host of defence systems comprising organs, white blood cells and proteins that protect the body from bacteria and viral infections.
They neutralize and remove foreign substances that have gained access to the body.
How to Boost the Immune System Quickly
There are so many ways you can boost your immune system. Either natural, with probiotics or with anti-inflammatory foods. Below are the natural ways.
Regular exercise is one of the keys to a healthy lifestyle. It helps to lower blood pressure, prevent obesity, improves heart health and protects the body from a disease outbreak. It also enhances the proper circulation of blood and immune-boosting cells and also removes toxic substances through sweat.
Have enough rest and sleep at night
Having enough sleep can make your system more relaxed and fit to fight any disease that may manifest. We recommend a night sleep of at least 6 to 7 hours for your body to build a natural defence system.
Avoid smoking and alcoholism
Smoking and excess alcohol intake weaken the body system making it more susceptible to lung infections, bronchitis and pneumonia.
Minimize sugar consumption
Too much sugar can lead to obesity, microbial infestation and weaker immune system. Always check the label of beverages and other edible stuff before consumption to monitor your body sugar level.
Drink plenty of water every day.
Drinking plenty of water says 7 to 8 cups every day can help keep your body hydrated. It can also enhance even distribution of important cells and nutrients to all parts of the body.
Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet is a diet that contains all six classes of food. A complete diet will supply the body with all the essential nutrients needed for optimal performance hence, improving the general health.
Keep Your Environment Clean
As an adage says, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Keeping your surroundings clean will save you from contracting unnecessary infections. Always wash your hands or fruits before eating.
An anti-inflammatory diet reduces inflammatory actions. This diet works by replacing sugary, refined foods with whole, nutrient-rich foods. They contain many antioxidants which help to reduce the number of free radicles. Below are some diets:
Ginger has so many health benefits because of gingerol in them. It is also rich in carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, and some minerals like vitamin C, iron, sodium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, riboflavin, niacin and phosphorous.
Ginger also contains some antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds like beta-carotene pantothenic acid, curcumin, capsaicin, salicylate and cafeic acid. (1)
This is a medicinal herb with a scientific name Curcuma longa. It contains curcumin, which makes it a vital medicinal plant. Curcumin is an anti-inflammatory compound used in treating rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Having known already that pepper adds a great taste to our diets, they are also rich in vitamin A, C, K, Capsaicin, and beta-carotene. These vitamins help to protect the cells from damage, cancer and premature ageing. Beta-carotene helps in reducing inflammation, while vitamin k helps in blood clotting.
Cabbage is a good source of vitamin C, B6, A, E, and K. It is also rich in fibre, manganese, magnesium, potassium. It also contains some antioxidant compounds like beta-carotene, flavonoid, choline and lutein.
Paw-paw is one of the immune-boosting fruits with over 220% of your daily required vitamin C. It is also fortified with papain and chymopapain enzymes which helps to reduce inflammation in the body.
Coconut oil helps to boost the immune system due to antimicrobial lipids, capric acid, and lauric acid in them. These compounds help to combat bacteria, fungi, viruses, and some parasites. The human system also converts the lauric acid to monolaurin which helps in boosting the immune system to fight herpes virus (HPV), influenza and other infections.
Immune System Booster Foods
These refer to all the immune booster supplements needed to keep the body strong. Below are some of them.
- This is a good source of probiotics which helps to keep our gut healthy. According to experts, a healthy gut helps in boosting immunity and good health. However, avoid yoghurt with lots of sugar.
- Salmon and tuna. These fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help to control inflammation.
- Chicken pepper soup. Hot pepper soup helps with cold relieve, their bone contains collagen and amino acid which is vital in boosting the immune system.
- Garlic. This vegetable plant contains allicin which helps to fight bacterial and viral infections.
- Foods rich in zinc. Eg, egg, red meat, beans, oysters, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Fruits and Vegetables. They contain lots of immune booster vitamins like vitamin A, C and E which help in strengthening the immune system. Foods rich in vitamin A are sweet potatoes, carrots and spinach etc. Tomatoes, citrus fruits, lime juice, etc are rich in vitamin C. While avocado, kale, cherries etc are rich in vitamin E.
- Drink plenty of water.
Probiotics for Immunity
Probiotics for immunity refer to all those fermented foods we take to keep our gut and body healthy. They are friendly bacteria and yeast that helps to purify the body.
Types of Probiotics
- Lactobacillus. This probiotic is found in fermented foods like yoghurt. It is recommended for people with diarrhoea and digestive problems.
- Bifidobacterium. It is an immune system supplement found in yoghurt and some dairy products.
- Saccharomyces. This is a yeast found in probiotics. It helps to combat diarrhoea and other digestive issues.