By Ebere Olisa,09/05/2019
Mucosolvan is a brand name for Ambroxol hydrochloride, a mucoactive agent used to treat chesty cough, non-productive cough, and respiratory tract infections caused by over mucus production.
Mucosolvan works in three district ways to treat cough.
- It dissolves the sticky mucus which causes irritation in the airways
- Clears the phlegm
- Stimulate the lung cells to produce and release surfactant, which guards the airways against new phlegm formation.
Several studies to access the efficacy of Ambroxol Hcl against respiratory tract infections were impressive.
In one of the studies, cough syrup was administered to 73 patients with expectoration disorders for about 14 days.
The sputum analysis of all the patients was recorded before and 10 days after the treatment.
The results showed a total disappearance of cough, liquefaction of sputum and clearance of airways in 47% of the patients, while 38.4% had a serious improvement, leaving a total failure of 2.7%.
A similar study of mucosolvan capsules on chronic bronchitis was also impressive (1).
Proving that mucosolvan medicine can treat bronchial asthma, spastic bronchitis, and other upper respiratory tract infections.
Table of Contents
Mucosolvan active ingredient
The active ingredient in every Mucosolvan tablet is 30 mg of Ambroxol Hcl, while in every 5 ml of its syrup, it contains 15 mg of the expectorant drug.
They also come in different forms such as
- Intramuscular Injections
- Dry powder sachet
Ambroxol solution is used in the treatment of respiratory conditions associated with oversecretion of mucus such as
- Bronchial asthma
- Spastic bronchitis
- Emphysema with bronchitis pneumoconiosis
- Productive cough
- Acute exacerbation of bronchitis
- Pain relief from acute sore throat
- Dry cough
Mucosolvan mechanism of action
Ambroxol solution works in three district ways to reduce bronchial hyperreactivity.
- It dissolves phlegm in the lungs.
- Clear the mucus and
- Protect your lungs from new phlegm formation.
Mucosolvan dosage for adults and children
The normal recommended dose for an adult is 30 mg (1 tablet) 3 times a day.
- For children from 0 to 2 years, 1.25ml x 2 times a day.
- Children between 2 and 5 years, 1.25ml x 3 times a day
- Those from 6 to 12 years old, 2.5ml x 3 times a day.
- Those from 12 years and above (adult), 5ml x 3 times for the first 3 days, then 5ml x 2 times a day thereafter.
Mucosolvan during pregnancy and breastfeeding
No serious complications of taking ambroxol while pregnant have been reported. However, this should be avoided in your first trimester of pregnancy and during breastfeeding since it can be excreted in your breast milk.
Mucosolvan side effects
The side effects of mucosolvan overdose are
- Dry throat
- Anaphylactic reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Mucous membrane reaction
- Increased salivation
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Allergic reactions
Precaution and storage information
- Keep this drug out of reach of children
- You should avoid medication if you are allergic to ambroxol
- Store it at a temperature of 30-degree centigrade and below.
1. What is the use of mucosolvan?
It is used to treat bronchial asthma, spastic bronchitis and respiratory diseases caused by over mucus production.
2. How does mucosolvan work?
Ambroxol works by dissolving the sticky phlegm in the lungs, clearing the mucus and also assisting in the production of surfactant which helps to protect and eliminate germs in the respiratory airways.
3. Is mucosolvan good for a dry cough?
Yes, it converts the non-productive cough to a chesty or productive one thus easing phlegm removal through a cough.
4. Can I take mucosolvan while pregnant?
Yes, you can take it but not in your first trimester. You should always discuss such a move with your doctor for proper check up and recommendation.
5. Can I buy mucosolvan over the counter?
Yes, you can get it at the pharmacy or in any drug store around your area, but consumption should be strictly on a doctor’s recommendation to avoid complications.
6. What does mucosolvan contain?
It contains ambroxol hydrochloride, a compound isolated from Adhatoda vasica.
7. Is mucosolvan sugar-free?
Yes, ambroxol syrup and tablets contain zero amounts of sugar and are suitable for diabetic patients and others with different sugar diseases.
8. Is mucosolvan a decongestant?
Yes, you can, all data from recent studies show the effectiveness of the mucolytic drug in treating nasal and paranasal sinusitis among children.
The study showed a quicker recovery time, decreased pain and improved functioning and regeneration of cilia epithelium
What is mucosolvan generic name?
The generic name of mucosolvan is ambroxol hydrochloride.
If you are one of those people that suffer from frequent cough or respiratory diseases, mucosolvan liquid is for you. However, you should follow the recommendation of your doctor or leaflet for the best result.